Thursday, June 20, 2013

រំដួលដងស្ទឹងសង្កែ

History of the Song: រំដួលដងស្ទឹងសង្កែ  / Romdoul Dong Stoeung Songkae
Translated from Kong Bun Chhoeun Memoir's "Golden Love Poem" by Borisot Khmer 

Sinn Sisamouth
Mer Bun



People close to me know that I like to write about Stoeung Songkae and my life in Battambang. It is true because that is where I spent the most time growing up. I have nostalgia about my hometown, even though I have left the place long time ago.

I wrote about love that has taken place in Battambang partly to remember the events that took place during my youth, and partly to remember the place I was growing up at. Plus, I know this province best, why would I write about a place that I know nothing about? 

The song "Romdould Stoeung Songkae" is such an example of how I reflect back on my youth and manages to capture those moments in time.  From 1945 to 1953, I was living in a boat house along the Songkae River just right across from "Adan" movie theater (this theater is gone now).

When I rode on a boat or walked on the bridge to go to school at Wat Poe Vil I would always enjoy the scenary that Steoung Songkae provided in the flooding or receding phase of the river. 


 

At the time, my understanding was that the bottom of the Songkae River was the most beautiful thing in the world. There would be slowly trickling water across the field of fresh sands. Me and my friends would take a towel or handkerchief and ran it across the water so we would catch tiny fishes.  We would  bury the clay pot in the sand, then make tiny holes in it to filter the clean cold water out. We would usually catch beta fish and have them fight each other there also.

I could never forget a young woman's beauty when she would go for a swim and gathers the clams at the bottom of the river every sunset. Now I am far away and time has erased the past but it could not stop me from writing and bringing the past back to life.

This song was written in 1974 and recorded with Phos Meas Production. When it was initially aired, Mr. Ngek Diem*, the famous artist during the period,  was upset with Sinn Sisamouth. Mr. Diem accused Sinn Sisamouth of slander when he sang the phrase "Vichetakor Euy Kom Bach Kue Ey Nov Knong Loukey Kmean Srey Laor Te!" thinking it was directed at him, the artist. 

Later Mr. Diem understood that the song was written by me about the memories of my past and it was not intentionally directed towards him. These memories of "Romdoul Dong Stoeung Songkae" still lingers in my dreams...

*Mr. Ngek Diem was a popular artist. Most of the record and cassette labels during the 1970s was done by him, including the drawing to Mer Bun above. He also did propaganda posters for the Khmer Republic Party during that period.

                
              រំដួលដងស្ទឹងសង្កែ

និពន្ធបទភ្លេងទំនុកច្រៀង      សម្រួលតន្រ្តី       ច្រៀងដោយ
គង្គ-ប៊ុនឈឿន                       មែរ-ប៊ុន        ស៊ីន-ស៊ីសាមុត

I. មហា​សង្ក្រាន​ ​ច្រាន​ឆ្នាំ​មួយ​ទៅ​
​ទ្រូង​សែន​ហ្មងសៅ​ ​នឹក​ព្រួយ​ក្រែង​ពៅ​ ​ឆាប់​ភ្លេច​រឿង​ដើម​
​រឿង​បាត់ដំបង​ ​ចង​ទង​ដង្ហើម​ ​កាល​ជួប​ស្រី​ឆ្នើម​
​រដូវ​សន្សើម​ ​ ​ផ្កា​រីក​ស្គុះ​ស្គាយ ។​

II. អូន​ដើរ​រើស​គ្រុំ​ ​ក្នុង​ស្ទឹង​សង្កែ​
​​ភក្ត្រ​ដូច​ដួង​ខែ​ ​ថ្ពាល់ខួច​មាន​ស្នេហ៍​ ​នេត្រា​ពណ្ណរាយ​
ហត្ថា​ខ្ចី​ល្ហ​ក់​ ​សក់ខ្មៅ​រំសាយ​  ​បងគន់​មិន​ណា​យ​
​​ក្លិន​ខ្លួន​ឆោម​ឆាយ​ ​រាយ​សំណាញ់​ស្នេហ៍ ។​

R. ​វិចិត្រករ​អឺយ​ ​កុំ​បាច់​គូរ​អី​
​​នៅក្នុង​លោកិយ​  ​ស្រី​ល្អ​គ្មានទេ​
មានតែ​រំដួល​ ​ដងស្ទឹង​សង្កែ​
​ដែល​ខ្ញុំ​លួច​ស្នេហ៍​ ​ទោះ​រយ​ឆ្នាំ​ខែ​ ​ក៏​នៅ​ចាំ​ចង ។​

III. ​ឥឡូវ​រដូវ​ផ្កា​រីក​វិល​វិញ​ ​ទ្រូង​សែន​ទោម្នេញ​
​​ព្យុះ​កម្មបក់​ដេញ​ ​បាត់​ផ្កា​មួយទង​
​​ត្រី​ក្រឹម​អូន​ស្លាប់​ ​នៅក្នុង​ដប​បង​
​លិខិត​នួនល្អង​ ​បង​ទុក​ទ្រាប់​ខ្នង​ ​ដេកស្លាប់​ក្នុង​ផ្នូរ ។​
 

No comments:

Post a Comment